There are no Upcoming Events

Condividi contenuti

Website and Forum problems

45 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
semplerfi
Ritratto di semplerfi
Iscritto: 5 Gen 2008

lilyflower wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion Semplerfi,  but that was done when I first logged into this site.

Sorry!

Hopefully I haven’t missed some more of this thread.

Having encountered similar issues in other places, as a last resort I have gone so far as to turn off and or lower all the settings for a few minutes and slowly bring the settings back up to see where things get stopped. I know this can be un-safe but for a few minutes I think one can squeak by. McAfee AV has a 5, 10, 15 minute timer or on re-boot which helped. Anyway I was able to find an obscure security setting in IE that had been checked disable instead of prompt.  

Hopefully someone can help get this one figured out.
Nanouk_Metal
Iscritto: 1 Mar 2008

Hi Semplerfi.

At this time we beleive that Lily was trying to upload KI images (not reformated).

Last time we had a feedback, she was supposed to install IrfanView to make them
more "compatible"

I hope she is not having problems with her Vista because at the IrfanView forums,
many Vista users had big problems getting it to work properly.

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower
Iscritto: 14 Feb 2009

Hey there

No, I did not fall off the planet  . ""  [ notice the eyes !! ]  ...   I was up until 3am this morning, so I've had about three hours sleep. 

First, Irfanview works like a dream  [I've always liked that programme].

Second, after converting my files with Irfanview I uploaded with no problem.  At this point I was jumping up and down with delight.

Third, I still cannot get them into a post.  Yes, I have read the instructions over and over and over and over.  That little Browse Server button [ located in the Insert/Edit Image Yellow Box ]   does not respond !! 

I unlocked the padlock - still no success.

I put my pic on clipboard  [ whilst on-line with my AV throwing its toys out of its cot at my recklessness]  and uploaded it into its own space on Internet Explorer, hoping to copy the url to that horrid little yellow box, without success.

I've lowered my AV and Internet security settings even more, and still have no success [ and yes, my AV yelled at me AGAIN ]

Yes, I have tried turning off my AV for a few moments, but its gives me five seconds to turn it on and threatens to terminate all my internet connections.  So that route is out.  And yes, it is a low as it will allow me to go.  I just raise it after quitting the web, and run Scan for safety. 

So, after battling back and forth and trying all sorts of combinations of whatever I could grab, at 3am I quit and went to get some shut-eye.  Now I have completed my tasks around the house, I've snatched a bit of time to get back here and get you updated.

lily

If Semplerfi can give me the name of the little obscure box he unchecked, then I can look at my one and see its condition. 

Be kind...  nearly everyone is fighting some sort of private battle

Nanouk_Metal

Hi Lily.

Are you able to see the KI images with IrfanView ?

If yes, did you do a new register the image under IrfanView jpeg, after renaming it ?

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Yes, thank you Nanouk, I saw the images perfectly with Irfanview

I converted them to .png and uploaded them to my file browser without any trouble.

No, I did not do a "new register the image" as the save did not ask that.  Maybe this is because it was saved as a .png and not a jpeg.  I popped back to check this out and still did not see that facility.  Is this only for jpeg files or would it apply to .png files also ? 

Nanouk_Metal

lilyflower wrote:

Yes, thank you Nanouk, I saw the images perfectly with Irfanview

I converted them to .png and uploaded them to my file browser without any trouble.

No, I did not do a "new register the image" as the save did not ask that.  Maybe this is because it was saved as a .png and not a jpeg.  I popped back to check this out and still did not see that facility.  Is this only for jpeg files or would it apply to .png files also ? 

I do not beleive "png format will work here. To change the format to jpeg with IrfanView
check my image below...

Szark
Ritratto di Szark
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Iscritto: 12 Gen 2008

Just a couple of comments One regerding

I unlocked the padlock - still no success.

That Padlock is the Lock or Unlock the "Aspect Ratio" of the image. Google Aspect Ratio that should explain it better than I.

Second. Lily it sounds like you are one in, well a few hundread as it stands now. I don't mean to be little your problems as I am sure they are frustrating. But I can asure you there is nothing wrong at this end. All the information on how to upload an image is there step by step. I have asked a few others to come in and to use the tutoirals without any problems so far.

I must conclude that your problems are unique and ones that are most probably out of our knowledge base. Perhaps consulting an expert where you live might help.

Nanouk_Metal

If my above image does not do it, then I beleive LiLy needs to ask a close friend
who knows a lot about computers (and IrfanView).

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

PNG files shouldn't be the problem Nanouk, many of the images on the websites are .png, actually all the buttons you see here on the forums are PNG images

An other thing Lilyflower may check is if Javascript is enabled on her browser (see here for instructions: http://gsaauctions.gov/brow_details/IE6instr.htm they are for IE6 but should work for IE7 as well) and also the pop-ups are enabled from this website.

semplerfi
Ritratto di semplerfi

lilyflower wrote:

That little Browse Server button [ located in the Insert/Edit Image Yellow Box ]   does not respond !! 

>>>>snip - sf

If Semplerfi can give me the name of the little obscure box he unchecked, then I can look at my one and see its condition. 

Nice try on your night burner. Sometimes that what it takes to beat some of these mind numbing issues.

hmmm! a thought about the "little Browse Server button"   do you have the latest version of "Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE 6 Update 12)"? Can be forund here:

java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

---

Sorry about the "little obscure box" it was awhile back and I do not remember.

A possible suggestion, any of the MS-IE security settings that offer 'Prompt' but are set to 'disabled', set to prompt, at least you will get a 'Prompt' window pop-up where something is happening or not happening.

---

Does anyone know of another website that is built like this one to try a test run on? With so many computer configurations out there it is hard to say if it's the forum here or her client yet. Having tried so many things already I'm starting to believe there might be more than one problem going on here. Everybodies suggestions have been excellent. We just have not hit the right combination yet.

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Hi there

Thanks Semplerfi,  I think you've put your finger on it when it comes to Java.  My Av refuses to allow me to download from the link you gave me, stating that it is highly hazardous and dangerous for my pc.

SO, I shall have to tinker with this for a while and see if I can disable something somewhere in the AV.  This is not going to be a holiday, that's for sure. 

lily

PS .  Have tried the jpeg as well as png - same reaction

PPS .   Have totally overhauled all settings for IE

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Problem found

Update: Downloaded  Java SE Runtime Environment and installed it.  On trying to open the Yellow Box [ Insert/Edit Image ] for the first time I had a response !!    I received an error message informing me that the version of Windows Vista I am running is not compatible with Java. 
So the error has been sent to Microsoft, who have informed me that at this time they have no solution, but that they would inform me when one is available.
The Vista site has been explored - just in case - to no avail.

So, thanks everyone for all your advice and help in the middle of your busy schedules, but this is a programme incompatability problem and as I am not a Microsoft programmer I shall have to wait for Microsoft to email me.  I'm sorry for all the inconvenience, and just hope that one day someone can be helped through this.

semplerfi
Ritratto di semplerfi

Ah! Sorry to hear that.

I see the battle between Sun Microsystems and Microsoft still rages. That's to bad.

I'll have to look into MS-Win 7 and see if MS has a clue this next time around.

You are welcome. I'm always glad to help when I can.

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

At last, problem is solved !!  I simply updated IE7 to IE8 and voila !!  Everything is working so much better and I am a very happy camper !!

After downloading IE8, there is an add-on that needs to be downloaded, i.e. "Compatibility". Then it is simply a matter of entering this site into the pop-up ... all clashes and crashes are fixed !!
Hope this helps someone else out there who, like me, is very new to the world wide web.

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
Iscritto: 30 Ott 2007

Good. We like happy campers.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.